2 years ago
PT FOR MOMS: Communication
Communication between home and school should always be regular, two-way, and meaningful.
- Give positive feedback and show appreciation for teachers and the principal.
- Approach interactions with a positive attitude and an open mind.
- listen to others’ viewpoint.
- Share your child’s strengths, talents, and interest with your child’s teachers.
- Share expectations and set goals together for your child.
- Make appointments as needed to discuss your child’s progress or concerns.
- Attend parent-teacher conferences with specific questions you want to ask.
- Indicate the best way to give you information (phone, email, notes, etc.).
- Understand and reinforce school rules and expectations at home.
- Participate in informal opportunities to talk with and get to know school staff and educators.
- Address concerns or questions honestly, openly, and early on.
- Attend PTA or parent meetings regularly.
- Read classroom and/or school newsletters.
- Visit your school’s website.
- Know the school’s staff extensions and office hours.
- Read and know your school’s handbook.
- Request that information be available in all relevant languages.