One bite and you’re transported to Louisiana!
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion (about 1 1/2 cups), chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces (1 cup) tomato sauce, no salt added
- 2 cups vegetable stock, no salt added
- 12 ounces peeled and deveined shrimp, (18/19 count per pound)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Shrimp cooks quickly, and overcooked shrimp quickly becomes tough and rubbery. Cook the shrimp just until the tails curl and the flesh is opaque.
No time to cook brown rice? Serve this dish with whole-wheat pasta!
Slowly add the tomato sauce and stock to the saucepan and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer for two minutes.
Serve over brown rice (nutrition info included).
Serves 4 (1 1/4 cups of shrimp Creole and 1/2 cup rice).